A derivative to the selective pallet racking, the Double Deep system requires the use of a specialist reach truck or an attachment fitted to reach truck. Whilst achieving increases in capacity of up to 30% above the former, only 50% of the pallets are immediately accessible.
This system however provides an excellent method of increasing warehouse capacity or when alternative systems such as the Drive-In which require high numbers of homogenous pallet types, are not possible.
Facts about Double Deep Pallet Racking System :
● Lower beam level required for some types of equipment
● Operates up to height of 10m
● Average stock rotation & order picking, 50% selectivity
● Average Floor area utilization - 40% net pallet area usage of overall warehouse area
● Redundancy rates can run between 10-20% dependant on the quality of the WMS programme
● Popular against Drive in Racking, as a lower cost alternative which increase capacity over selective by up to 30%
● Recommend the use of pallet rails or pallet support bars above 4m, to increase MH productivity and improve safety of operation
● Recommend to use column protectors when using MH equipment that requires the straddle leg to go below bottom beam or between pallets and upright
● Mechanical Handling Equipment:
1. Specialist machine with either pantograph or telescopic forks which can be fitted to standard reach trucks